Author Topic: Students seeing progress!!  (Read 24 times)

lijue@berkeley.edu

Students seeing progress!!
« on: October 18, 2017, 02:56:54 pm »
Daniel and Forum members,
I have taught KST once per week for about 1 hr at the University level, under the new title of "Flexibility and Strength Workshop". I have about 25 students of varying abilities--two VERY tight men who are struggling with positioning in certain exercises. I am helping them with modifying using blocks, straps. I would LOVE any suggestions on modifications if anyone has any:)
But I am posting to say that everyone has been getting good gains in forward, lateral and back bending! One gal came up to me after class and said, "will you look at my forward bend to see if I am doing something wrong?" I looked at her and asked her to slightly straighten her knees just a bit more, but otherwise it was fine. I asked her why she wanted me to check her, and she said with a slight quiver to her voice,"I've just never been able to touch my fingers to the floor before". She was so excited. It has be been 7 classes and only once per week and her hands were about 4" or so from the floor when she started off. Yes!!!
Other more flexible young dancers have commented on deeper splits,etc. and I am so happy with this new way of teaching!!! I love KST and cannot believe i/we have been stretching in the "standard" fashion for SO long....
I hope to have more updates as the semester continues. Maybe some pics of my class?
Sue

Daniel Tkach

Re: Students seeing progress!!
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 01:10:11 pm »
This is awesome Sue! And of course I'm not surprised lol

Are you following our blogs? We updated the system with ELC, RI, MHT exercises that make gains permanent, flexibility more functional, and training less painful, so they are a must. Also always use a bit of a strength modality, contracting the leverage or target for 12 seconds, 3 times on each exercise. Some people just can't progress without this modality.

Modifications for exercises, sure, whatever they can do is fine, as long as they can MOVE while in the position. One does not need to move both leverage and target, you can pick just one, the easiest move, and go from there. Building up the reps, or time holding the tension or even 5 to 10 seconds of relaxation.

The regular programs also have very useful information that will complement what you know.

Looking forward to those pictures Sue!!!

Before I forget, can you check Stretch180 on your phone? We created an app to measure angles! I know it works on Android phones, and the iPhone one does but not on old phones.

Keep us posted!
Daniel Tkach
ElasticSteel Team
www.ElasticSteel.net
www.EasyFlexibility.com

lijue@berkeley.edu

Re: Students seeing progress!!
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2017, 10:08:03 pm »
Daniel,

This is such great info! I am loving learning more and more about this methodology--I wish I had more time to devote to it. I will see if I can start using the strength agains the stretching to see if anyone can feel the difference. We do a little PNF and other general body weight strengthening exercises, but I think I need to incorporate the ELC program
Keep ya posted!
Sue
PS Pics coming, and I will look into the stretch 180 app. I do have Iphone!