Author Topic: Adductors  (Read 3218 times)

Daniel Tkach

Adductors
« on: November 12, 2014, 04:14:50 pm »
Adductors are by far my favourite muscle group. After glutes, they are what give me more trouble, I'd love to conquer them completely one day.
I thought of making topics specific to muscles. As usual this will be as practical as I can make it, as opposed to me lecturing. You can already find great information on books and better if you take Kinesiology or Anatomy classes at university.

So, the questions are. Which are the adductor muscles? Five muscles should come to your mind right away.
Then... what do each of them do? Do they just adduct the hip and that's why they are called "adductors"? What do they actually do!

Looking forward to your answers.
Daniel Tkach
ElasticSteel Team
www.ElasticSteel.net
www.EasyFlexibility.com

Daniel Tkach

Re: Adductors
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2015, 11:58:23 am »
Six adductors are Sartorious, Pectineus, Brevis, Longus, Magnus, Gracilis.

Sartorius does hip extension, knee extension, hip internal rotation and hip abduction.

Pectineus does hip external rotation, hip abduction combined with extension.

Brevis does hip abduction, hip extension, posterior pelvic tilt in "integrity".

Longus does hip abduction, hip extension, posterior pelvic tilt in "integrity", does the same in as listed below in "Respect".

Magnus does hip abduction, hip extension, posterior pelvic tilt in "integrity", in "Respect" does flexion and horizontal extension hold external rotation.

Gracilis does hip external rotation and hip abduction.

Hello Sue, I'm glad you replied, there are some important corrections to make.
Sartorius is not an adductor, but an abductor muscle.

The rest of the muscles are in fact the adductors, but then you mention they do abduction.
And for the rest of the actions you seem to be saying how to stretch them and not what the muscles actually do because it's all the opposite of what you are saying.
Please double check! For example, gracilis performs hip adduction, hip internal rotation and hip flexion, so to stretch it you'd do the opposite combined: hip abduction, hip extension and hip external rotation.
This is what you just said on other topic, so I see you are getting the grasp of it. I will reply to your other question, meanwhile please double check this and see if you can post your corrections.
Thanks!
Daniel Tkach
ElasticSteel Team
www.ElasticSteel.net
www.EasyFlexibility.com

suedanceclayton

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2015, 11:08:22 am »
Gracilis can flex the hip, turn in the knee and hip adduct.

Pectineus flexes, adducts and internal rotates hip.

Adductor brevis, longus and magnus adduct hip and flex hip.  Opposite of System Actions.

Also, other homework assignment....

Integrity, Security, Stability, Fullfillment, Perception, Safety, Comfort, Ease, Respect, Esteem, Peace, Kindness, Compassion have  three System Actions.

Surety, Clarity have four System Actions, all the others have two.

andyhrelja

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2015, 07:29:56 pm »
Sue,

That got me too - the actions in the notes are the system actions not the muscle actions in most cases.  I found that watching the video while having the notes opened and writing down the actual muscle actions in the notes as Paul describes them really helped clear up that confusion.

Cheers,
Andy

suedanceclayton

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2015, 10:02:15 pm »
Thank you, I am starting to understand now.

Daniel Tkach

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2015, 12:07:44 pm »
Gracilis can flex the hip, turn in the knee and hip adduct.

Pectineus flexes, adducts and internal rotates hip.

Adductor brevis, longus and magnus adduct hip and flex hip.  Opposite of System Actions.

Also, other homework assignment....

Integrity, Security, Stability, Fullfillment, Perception, Safety, Comfort, Ease, Respect, Esteem, Peace, Kindness, Compassion have  three System Actions.

Surety, Clarity have four System Actions, all the others have two.

Very good Sue  :D
About Gracilis, we are not actually concerned what it does at the knee joint (it rotates inward as you said) but what it does at the hip, we use that as a main action for a few system. Can you check that out please? What Gracilis does other than Hip Adduction, Hip Flexion, Knee  Medial Rotation.

The rest, very well  ;D

By the way, the system actions are listed below "System Actions" on the top left table  ;)
Most exercises don't say what the muscle actions are, and if they do, it's right on the chart together with the muscles pictures.

Very well guys, let's keep the studying up! Andy, thanks for the help.
Daniel Tkach
ElasticSteel Team
www.ElasticSteel.net
www.EasyFlexibility.com

suedanceclayton

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2015, 02:42:59 pm »
Gracilis would do hip internal rotation.

Daniel Tkach

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2015, 03:19:57 pm »
Gracilis would do hip internal rotation.

Ex - cel - lent - !
Daniel Tkach
ElasticSteel Team
www.ElasticSteel.net
www.EasyFlexibility.com

suedanceclayton

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2015, 07:55:47 pm »
Thank you, please keep posting questions !!!  I really appreciate all your help.

Daniel Tkach

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2015, 02:14:54 pm »
You're welcome!
I will keep on posting questions.

Now, please you do post questions on the Quiz Time! topic. Asking questions is a very good way of learning, that's why I created that topic, for students to come up with questions for each other. It didn't become very popular yet, I know haha, but if you are really interested in learning this method, please do post there simple questions. Or if any of you have better ideas please share.

Thanks!
Daniel Tkach
ElasticSteel Team
www.ElasticSteel.net
www.EasyFlexibility.com