Author Topic: Quiz Time! - Test Practice  (Read 5936 times)

Daniel Tkach

Quiz Time! - Test Practice
« on: October 04, 2014, 04:10:48 pm »
Hello everyone.
The idea of this topic is that you ask each other questions to help you learn the method, and of course to be able to do the test in the blink of an eye when it comes the time.

To begin with, is there anything that it's not quite clear?

Alright I'll ask two questions to start, mostly you are expected to ask from now on, simple and straightforward questions such as "what are the focus muscles of the ~Compassion~ system? You'll ask the kind of questions you easily find the answer for on the handouts or on the videos. For questions you don't know the answer to just start another topic.

You can answer the question about the ~Compassion~ system and the next one. How would you improve your hip abduction?
Daniel Tkach
ElasticSteel Team
www.ElasticSteel.net
www.EasyFlexibility.com

menardkp

Re: Quiz Time! - Test Practice
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2014, 08:54:59 pm »
rhomboids major

Quite a few of the back bending but Integrity feels to me like it hits it hardest.

Daniel Tkach

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2014, 07:37:47 am »
~Compassion~ targets the rhomboids major, that's correct.

Yes, ~Integrity~ hits adductors, which adductors?

What are other adductor systems?
Daniel Tkach
ElasticSteel Team
www.ElasticSteel.net
www.EasyFlexibility.com

menardkp

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2014, 05:39:38 pm »
You asked for hip adductors, no?  On us old stiff guys, I feel it in Intergity and it works Adductor brevis, longus and magnus. I translate that as ouch.   According to the sheets Certainty targets them - the pectineus - but honestly it just kinda hurts in general and makes me fall over a lot.   :-\

Daniel Tkach

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2014, 11:44:52 am »
Feel free to use any props for balance, a chair will work.

~Certainty~ may make your rectus femoris (quads) hurt, if so practice ~Clarity~ for some time before attempting ~Certainty~. Yes you need clarity to have certainty haha! it may even apply in "real life" by the exercises names, which are not arbitrary of course.

In your case don't flex your knee too much if that hurts on the knee, and in general don't do anything that makes you hurt. With time you'll learn what pain is good as if something is getting fixed, or bad pain when there's a potential injury.

A good thing to try if muscles hurt when appying the leverage is isometrics, tense the muscles you are stretching for 12 seconds before going into the leverage. Also the moves do not need to be deep, you may move one degree and that still works, since you'll be accumulating and going deeper with every repetition.

You are all forgetting to ask a question  :D please do so, let's keep the knowledge flowing!
Daniel Tkach
ElasticSteel Team
www.ElasticSteel.net
www.EasyFlexibility.com

andyhrelja

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2014, 11:15:47 pm »
Question - what muscles are involved (agonists) in abducting the legs when seated at 90 degrees i.e. sitting and opening to a splits position? And which are the antagonists (restrictors) in this movement.  And therefore, which systems should I focus on to fix it?

I have a vested interest in this question as I get pain in my right hand side hip and groin region every time I do this.

Daniel Tkach

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2014, 11:19:40 pm »
Hi Andy, while I finish typing the answer to your other question... this topic is to ask simple quick questions that can be answered easily by what the booklets or videos say, please read the first messages. You should also answer the last question before posting a new one.

Since you posted your question here anyways, let the members here answer it! We are how many... about 50 people? Ok, looking forward to many answers!  ;)

PS I realized there is no previous simple question... so, here it comes, what systems would you work on to improve your shoulder extension?

Then other members will answer Andy's question  :)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 11:22:53 pm by Daniel Tkach »
Daniel Tkach
ElasticSteel Team
www.ElasticSteel.net
www.EasyFlexibility.com

andyhrelja

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2014, 11:51:03 pm »
Yep - no simple question before for me to answer.  I did look for it :)

To improve shoulder extension I'd say ~Felicity~ for shoulder extension as in bringing the arms further back when holding your hands down or ~Placidity~ for more horizontal shoulder extension.

andyhrelja

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2014, 09:56:22 pm »
So, was my answer correct to the last question re shoulder extension? :)

Now for a question.  What muscle is the target in the ~Equilibrium~ system?

C'mon folks - keep the questions and answers coming.  I'm getting ready to the test so (being just a tad selfish) I need all the practice I can get.

Daniel Tkach

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2014, 03:22:24 pm »
So, was my answer correct to the last question re shoulder extension? :)

Now for a question.  What muscle is the target in the ~Equilibrium~ system?

C'mon folks - keep the questions and answers coming.  I'm getting ready to the test so (being just a tad selfish) I need all the practice I can get.

Adding ~Contentment~ may be necessary too, it also helps shoulder extension, so the more different stretches you do the better.

You had asked a question about the straddle, which nobody answered.
Agonists, the abductors, gluteus minimus, gluteus medius, tensor fascia lata. They should be taught to CONTRACT in SHORT RANGE (when they are already contracted and antagonists maximally stretched).

Muscles that will prevent the stretch: all the adductors: adductor brevis, adductor longus, adductor magnus, gracilis, even pectineus (which is a hip flexor but by the angle it is, it adducts too) and even medial hamstrings (semi membranosus and semitendinosus). If any of them is tight, they will prevent you from doing a complete straddle.
The Quadratus Femoris may bother some people but that's rare (it's one of the six deep lateral rotators).

Simple question: What actions of the hamstrings are utilized in the ~Peace~ system?
Answer this one and ask another with the same format: What action of the #muscle name here# are utilized in ~system name here~

Thanks.
Daniel Tkach
ElasticSteel Team
www.ElasticSteel.net
www.EasyFlexibility.com

andyhrelja

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2014, 07:29:41 pm »
~Peace~ utilises the following hamstring actions - knee extension, hip flexion and hip extension (correct?)

Question: What action of the muscles aductor longus and magnus are utilised in ~Respect~?

Keep those questions and answers coming folks!

Daniel Tkach

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2014, 04:03:15 pm »
~Peace~ utilises the following hamstring actions - knee extension, hip flexion and hip extension (correct?)

Question: What action of the muscles aductor longus and magnus are utilised in ~Respect~?

Keep those questions and answers coming folks!

Check again what the actions of the hamstrings muscles are.

I'll reply your question. In ~Respect~ we do hip flexion vs hip horizontal extension. So the opposites and what the muscle does are:
hip extension and hip horizontal adduction.  We also use hip rotation, the muscles rotate in, so in order to pre stretch it we keep it out.

Question: What are the actions of TFL (tensor fascia lata) and what systems can you mention that isolate this muslce?
Daniel Tkach
ElasticSteel Team
www.ElasticSteel.net
www.EasyFlexibility.com

andyhrelja

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2014, 01:17:29 am »
D'Oh!  I meant the hamstrings are knee flexors, not extensors.   Was the hip flexion correct at least?

I'll get back to you on the TFL question shortly :)

andyhrelja

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2014, 04:19:20 pm »
To target TFL directly, I'd use ~courage~.  The actions of the TFL are hip flexor, internal rotator and abductor.  Therefore to stretch it we use the opposite actions as to what the muscle does i.e. we use hip extension, adduction and external rotation.

aerialdance

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2015, 05:28:59 am »

Check again what the actions of the hamstrings muscles are.

Hi, I'm obviously missing something important and probably obvious here. Why was the answer wrong? On the pdf for Forward Bending, the Peace System has knee extension, hip flexion and hip extension written as the actions. So why was he wrong? I'm really confused.