Author Topic: Peace and leg extension.  (Read 3152 times)

shift1000

Peace and leg extension.
« on: October 03, 2014, 06:46:34 pm »
When doing Peace and the leg does not extend all the way. Is that ok or one must use a prop to extend it all the way?

Daniel Tkach

Re: Peace and leg extension.
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2014, 08:52:31 pm »
Hi Van.
You mean extending the leg as the target?
It is better if you let your upper body come off the floor so you extend the knee. DON'T push with your hand or a prop, it is better to use your OWN strength coming from the quads, this will produce reciprocal inhibition and will even be beneficial to stretch further (and to become stronger).
When extending the leg adjust how much you keep your hip flexed so that you have to struggle just a little tensing the quads to extend the leg completely. If you let your hip extend to much you won't stretch, if you don't extend enough you will be push too hard.
Daniel Tkach
ElasticSteel Team
www.ElasticSteel.net
www.EasyFlexibility.com

Hung

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2014, 07:37:49 am »
hi Daniel,

i have noticed that the model's leg extension at each successive repetition (demo), her leg is moving away from the head towards outside the shoulder laterally.  is that what we are trying to achieve?  whereas at 48:44, Paul explains that we can hit the another part of the hamstrings by moving the leg towards the centre the body hence i see that there are "nuances" in the stretching of the hamstrings.

Hung

Hung

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2014, 09:18:25 am »
another thing when doing the peace system, when the knee is extended, can we leave it as extended passively?  it feels tight and after x amount of seconds, it becomes less tighter. 

Daniel Tkach

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2014, 10:46:43 am »
hi Daniel,

i have noticed that the model's leg extension at each successive repetition (demo), her leg is moving away from the head towards outside the shoulder laterally.  is that what we are trying to achieve?  whereas at 48:44, Paul explains that we can hit the another part of the hamstrings by moving the leg towards the centre the body hence i see that there are "nuances" in the stretching of the hamstrings.

Hung

What you are trying to achieve, your TARGET we call it, is having the knee straight and your leg as close to your ribs as possible. If you don't fee it anymore sure you can adjust the position where you get more stretch, as keeping the leg accross. This way you will target your laretal hamstrings more which is the ones that are usually tighter.

QUESTION: What is the system that targets lateral hamstrings and what are its actions?

another thing when doing the peace system, when the knee is extended, can we leave it as extended passively?  it feels tight and after x amount of seconds, it becomes less tighter. 

Do you mean leave the knee extended and let your hip flexion increase by relaxation?

You can do whatever works for you. If you have watched the lesson called METHODOLOGY you know that there are different applications and all variations you could possible come up with, such as relaxing one action for  a few seconds then the other action, or just working statically on only one action (in order to isolate it), or isometrically on one action then move the other deeper (if for some reason such as pain on action cannot go deeper), or switching targets and leverages at every repetition, anything you can come up with, and if it works, then that's awesome. What works for you may not work for others and vice versa, so yes, experiment, there are basically over 20 different ways of performing each Kinsiological Stretching system.

Make sure to visit the QUIZ! topic to help you and others learn the exercises  :)
Daniel Tkach
ElasticSteel Team
www.ElasticSteel.net
www.EasyFlexibility.com

Hung

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2014, 01:11:37 pm »
Daniel,

i don't remeber of having seen the Methodology lesson prior the first video unless it was the preface before the first lesson in that video.  can you provide the timeframe so it saves me time to look for it.

thanks,
Hung

Hung

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2014, 01:23:29 pm »
"or just working statically on only one action (in order to isolate it), or isometrically on one action", are statically and isometrically the same?

Daniel Tkach

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2014, 06:37:16 pm »
Daniel,

i don't remeber of having seen the Methodology lesson prior the first video unless it was the preface before the first lesson in that video.  can you provide the timeframe so it saves me time to look for it.

thanks,
Hung

Go to the lessons list, it is the last one before the Test.

"or just working statically on only one action (in order to isolate it), or isometrically on one action", are statically and isometrically the same?

I'm sorry, I take things for granted. By statically I meant static relaxed stretching, as in yoga, using your breathing and visualization to relax the muscle action you are targetting.
Now that I'm at it, the way to do it is as follows: breath in, visualize the air goes into the muscle and relaxes it, if the visualization didn't work try again, breath into the muscles, if the muscles relax then when you breath out you increase the stretch a bit more. So the important thing is that you will increase the stretching with the exhalation only if you were able to relax them with the inhalation.

Isometrics when you tense the muscles without changing the joints angle. Usually after tensing for a certain amount of time (12 seconds is the minimum recommended) you will increase the range. You can apply the tensions to the target, the antagonists of the target, the leverage and the antagonists of the leverage and all the combinations you can think of. I like applying isometric tension to the target muscles and antagonists on the last set for 30 seconds, that helps you fix the flexibility. You don't increase the stretch further if you do this, just tense for 30 seconds on the last repetition then come out of the posture.

Keep in mind that what I share with you is to the best of my knowledge, most things I learned from Paul, many other are what I experienced that work on myself and my students. Always listen to your body and start slow and easy. Common sense. Hurts too much = no good.

Regards.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 06:43:18 pm by Daniel Tkach »
Daniel Tkach
ElasticSteel Team
www.ElasticSteel.net
www.EasyFlexibility.com

Hung

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2014, 05:59:29 am »
very much appreciated with your best of knowledge.  i honestly see it as goodies to my learning along with you being our teacher/moderator.

Jennifer Huff

• Pole Instructor
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2014, 10:08:47 pm »
In regards to the Peace System focusing on the lateral hamstring...I'm guessing it might need to be opposite for me personally.  I might be needing the target first then leverage.  It seems to be harsher on my body going with leverage then target.  The 'kick' seems to be a little too much, even thought I know it's more of a slight extension.  Is it more effective to pull the leg in close to the body for leverage then slowly extend the leg for a target? 

Love the comment about holding the stretches for longer periods of time.  And that the strength of the extension needs to come from the guads.  :)

Daniel Tkach

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2014, 12:28:26 pm »
Hi Jennifer,

yes, you'd choose the target and leverage that works better for you, it really depends on the individual.

On this hamstrings system you have:
- the movement from the knee keeping your leg close to your chest without moving from your hip (this I believe it's the one you said it's harsh for you)
- the movement from your hip at the same time you extend your knee

In the end, your target will always be to have your leg completely straight, knee extended and hip as flexed as possible (leg close to your chest). Basically, we are dividing that goal in two parts:
1- the extension of the knee
2- the flexion of the hip
Alternating the moves, one making space for the other to go deeper and vice versa, so it's ok to switch them around and it is really advisable.

Feel free to play around with the exercises. Exercises will feel different as you progress, and you'll be adjusting them on the way as well.

I hope this helps!

PS: The relaxed modality can be used at the end of a workout, using exactly the same systems, reinforcing your workout and helping you cool down, and if you are used to relaxed stretches, then it'll be very effective. Though the standard way is still holding for only one or two seconds each action  ;)

PS 2: Include strength whenever you can, and whenever you can handle tensing your muscles for 30 seconds  :D
Daniel Tkach
ElasticSteel Team
www.ElasticSteel.net
www.EasyFlexibility.com